How Will You Know You Have Overloaded a Surge Protector

ARC license number – AU54842

Nowadays, people use a lot of electronics including phones, radios, televisions, heaters, refrigerators, and microwaves. This means that the home owners will need to have sockets that can accommodate numerous appliances at the same time. When plugging many devices to an extension at the same time, there is a risk of overheating and getting the items damaged due to fire outbreaks. A power surge protector is designed to prevent cases of appliances being damaged by a power surge or voltage spikes, and this makes it a crucial device for any home. However, a power surge protector may also get overloaded when you plug in too many devices simultaneously. This article will guide you on how to know whether you have overloaded a surge protector.

First, it is important to know that overloading a power surge protector too could be dangerous as it may cause fire outbreaks which are destructive and could lead to deaths. You should be careful not to plug in too many appliances to ensure your safety and to prevent against destruction of property. So, how will you know you have overloaded a surge protector?

One way to know whether the surge protector is overloaded is by checking the maximum watts that the protector is designed to hold. This information is mostly indicated on the power surge protector, and you should ensure that the limit is not reached after plugging the required devices. For example, if the power surge protector indicates a limit of 1200 Watts, the devices connected to the protector should be using less than 1200 Watts to be safe. The most obvious indicator of an overloaded power surge protector is when you feel it being hot. If the power surge protector is overloaded, it starts to overheat, and this makes it hot an indicator that you are overloading the protector.

Due to overheating, you may notice some burns on the plastic material used to make the power surge protector. If you notice that the power surge protector is emitting some sparks when you plug in an appliance, this could indicate that the protector is being overloaded. A power surge protector that has been used for a long time may be easily overloaded because it wears out as it becomes older.

Contact Brisbane electricians such as CLF Services for more guidance on how to avoid overloading your power surge protector and for high quality and affordable electrician services.

For more information or to make an appointment, please call CLF Services on 1300 257 561.