Electrical Hazards

Electricity is a powerful force. When working with electricity, the ideal service provider must ensure all safety measures are put in place to protect you and your family from danger. Besides, electricity hazard is a leading threat to electrical workers, including electricians. Typically, about five percent of workplace fatalities are a result of electrocution. Common causes of electrical hazards include:

• Making contact with live wires that cause severe burns and shock
• Fire breakouts due to faulty wiring
• Exposed electricity parts
• Ignition of fires and explosions when exposed electrical parts come in contact with flammable or explosive material
• Inadequate wiring
• Interaction with overhead power lines
• Damaged insulation that causes conductors to be in touch with each other, tools or worker’s body
• Improper grounding when technicians remove the ground pin on electricity plug to fit a two-prong extension cord

Common types of home electrical hazards

1. Inadequate wiring and defective electrical wires

Good quality wiring that conforms to safety standard should be a top priority for any service provider. Poor installation increases the risk of arc faults, power surges, and fire. Consequently, it is best to avoid doing any electrical work yourself. Seek the help of professionals to do the job. You should also have a qualified electrician to inspect the wiring in your home every so often to guarantee that they are safe. Some of the common hazards resulting from poor installation and defective electrical wires include
• Frayed appliance and extension cords
• Cracked wire insulation that is caused by heat bending corrosion or age
• Overheated cords and wires
• Wires that have been chewed on by rodents and other pests

2. Outlet that is close to the water

All outlets located in water places such as bathrooms, kitchens, and some parts of the living area must be installed a far distance away from any water source. Water is an excellent electricity conductor, and when the electricity comes in contact, it raises the risk of shock or electrocution. You should avoid using an electrical device such as a phone, radio, or hairdryer close to a water source or wet floors.

3. Wet hands

It is not a good idea to handle electrical devices with wet hands. Wet hands raise the risk of getting an electric shock. Too many people reach the hairdryer with wet hands oblivious of the danger they are exposing themselves. You should keep the entire appliance away from sinks, taps, and showers.

4. Extension cords

The best electrician should fix extension cords in the right place to reduce the risk of tripping or accident. In case you have young children in your home, let the technician place the cables in the right places where inquisitive toddlers cannot reach. Any outlet at their height should be replaced with extra safe power points with coverings that prevent sharp objects and fingers from going into the socket.

For more information on electrical hazards, contact CLF Services today.